A Chicago White Sox game last month where two women were wounded by gunfire should have been stopped or delayed, the city's interim police superintendent says.
The Aug. 25 game against the Oakland Athletics was allowed to continue without interruption after the two women were shot near Section 161 of Guaranteed Rate Field because of "miscommunication" on the protocol for notifying Major League Baseball.
"We've taken some steps to make sure that ... we have the right people in place to delay or stop completely a game like that, so it won't happen again," interim police superintendent Fred Waller said.
"We did not know exactly what we had on our hands. We didn't think it was an active shooter. But we didn't know."
Police still don't know whether the bullets came from inside or outside Guaranteed Rate Field and likely will never be certain, Waller said.
Waller was told Chief of Patrol Brian McDermott had called for the game to be stopped and that police, team officials and the private security firm hired by the Sox had started looking at video.
"A mistake was made because the [game] was not stopped," Waller said.