The Opsera is a statistic RealGM Executive Editor Chris Reina created in order to objectively rank teams by how well they hit (OPS) and pitch (ERA).
In order to determine the Opsera rating for each, we take their OPS, multiply that number by 10 to move the decimal point over one place to the right and then subtract their ERA from that number.
Below are the rankings through the Thursday, June 28th games:
The rankings from last week are in parenthesizes.
1. (1) Texas Rangers - 4.41
Long known for their offense, Texas employs a pitching staff with the tenth-lowest ERA (3.69) in baseball.
2. (2) New York Yankees - 4.24
It may not take long for the Yankees to drop in these rankings with Andy Pettitte and CC Sabathia on the disabled list. Luckily, their offense has begun to show signs of life.
3. (3) Washington Nationals - 4.03
Twelve games over .500, the Nationals own the third-best record in baseball and have a three-plus game lead in the National League East.
4. (6) Los Angeles Angels - 3.99
It took some time, but the Angels are surging.
5. (5) St. Louis Cardinals - 3.90
Entering Friday, the Cardinals are third in the three-team race for the National League Central crown (behind Cincinnati and Pittsburgh). They cannot be counted out.
6. (7) Cincinnati Reds - 3.80
Speaking of the Reds, they have the third-highest run differential in the National League.
T7. (4) Los Angeles Dodgers - 3.67
Losers of five straight, the Dodgers have fallen behind the red-hot Giants in the National League West. That could change again when Matt Kemp returns.
-- (8) San Francisco Giants - 3.67
The Giants have recorded four-straight shutouts.
9. (T11) Boston Red Sox - 3.55
10. (T11) Arizona Diamondbacks - 3.54
11. (14) Chicago White Sox - 3.38
12. (T11) Detroit Tigers - 3.34
13. (10) Baltimore Orioles - 3.31
14. (17) Atlanta Braves - 3.27
15. (9) Tampa Bay Rays - 3.24
16. (T19) New York Mets - 3.23
17. (18) Pittsburgh Pirates - 3.22
18. (T15) Philadelphia Phillies - 3.18
T19. (T19) Milwaukee Brewers - 3.11
-- (21) Oakland Athletics - 3.11
21. (22) Kansas City Royals - 3.09
22. (T15) Toronto Blue Jays - 3.08
23. (24) Miami Marlins - 2.68
T24. (26) San Diego Padres - 2.66
-- (T28) Houston Astros - 2.66
26. (27) Seattle Mariners - 2.55
27. (23) Cleveland Indians - 2.48
28. (T28) Colorado Rockies - 2.42
29. (25) Chicago Cubs - 2.31
30. (30) Minnesota Twins - 2.09
Via Andrew Perna/RealGM
New York Yankees, San Francisco Giants, Texas Rangers, Misc Rumor, Team Achievement
Read the Full Story