February 2013 - Los Angeles Dodgers Wiretap

Kershaw Regrets Skipping WBC

Feb 28, 2013 8:13 PM

Clayton Kershaw regrets turning down an invitation to pitch for Team USA at the World Baseball Classic.

He says he was encouraged by the Dodgers to say no.

"That's a huge honor to get to do that. I would have loved to," Kershaw said. "I think I owed it to the team to show I was healthy in spring training, even though I had two starts at 100 percent last year. I wanted to come in and show I'm 100 percent great and I know they didn't feel great about me going.

"Hopefully, in four years I'll get the honor to do it again, but I'll definitely have regrets watching it."

Mark Saxon/ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Dodgers Won't Use Harang As Reliever

Feb 28, 2013 1:20 PM

The Dodgers have eight starting pitchers for five slots, meaning they'll have to move some to the bullpen and perhaps trade one or two.

Don Mattingly made it clear on Wednesday that Los Angeles won't convert Harang into a reliever.

"Aaron Harang doesn't seem like the kind of guy that pitches out of the pen," Mattingly said. "To me he's more of a guy that paints. He keeps you in the game. He's just not that guy that's going in and overpower you."

That could mean that Harang will be dangled in a trade.

Steve Dilbeck/Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor, Trade Rumor

Discuss
Teams Will Begin Receiving $24M In TV Revenue In 2014

Feb 26, 2013 4:39 PM

Each Major League team will begin receiving at least $24 million a year when baseball's new national television kicks in next season.

There will be no competitive advantage since every team receives the same amount, but it will still be hard for clubs to compete with the Dodgers, Angels, Rangers and others that will benefit from the exorbitant local-TV contracts.

Bernie Miklasz/St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Tags: Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Los Angeles Dodgers, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Oakland Athletics, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners, St. Louis Cardinals, Tampa Bay Rays, Texas Rangers, Toronto Blue Jays, Washington Nationals, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Greinke Admits Free Agency Is About Money, Gave Rangers Final Chance

Feb 26, 2013 7:51 AM

Zack Greinke has done something rarely seen in professional sports, admitted that free agency is all about the money.

He signed a six-year, $147 million deal with the Dodgers this offseason.

"It's obviously the No. 1 thing," Greinke said. "I could play for the worst team if they paid the most ... If the last place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I'm going to go for the $200-million no matter what team it was."

The Dodgers and Rangers were the final teams in the running for his services. Greinke gave the Rangers a chance to sign him, according to sources. Texas ultimately decided not to beat or match L.A.'s offer.

Jon Heyman/CBS Sports

Tags: Texas Rangers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Weiner: Increasing Drug Penalties Possible

Feb 25, 2013 4:59 PM

Michael Weiner, the head of baseball's union, says there is active discussion about increasing the penalties for violating baseball's drug testing program.

Weiner said that players have expressed interest in making the sanctions for failed drug tests more severe. He also says there have been discussions with Major League Baseball about possible changes that could take place in 2014.

Associated Press

Discuss
Ryu Hyun-Jin Has Dropped 15 Pounds Since Reporting To Dodgers

Feb 25, 2013 7:39 AM

Ryu Hyun-Jin has lost about 15 pounds since he reported to the Dodgers for his first Major League spring training.

Ryu made his debut in Cactus League play Sunday, allowing a triple and getting a strikeout during one scoreless inning against the White Sox.

"Considering it was my first official game, I'm pretty satisfied," he said through a translator. "I'm still very early in the learning stage, so I'm just trusting what they're telling me."

Ryu agreed to a $36 million, six-year deal with Los Angeles in December.

Associated Press

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Dodgers Calling Clubs To Gauge Interest In Capuano

Feb 23, 2013 4:27 PM

The Dodgers have a surplus of starters and are calling teams to gauge interest in Chris Capuano, according to sources.

Capuano has been available since the Dodgers signed free agents Zack Greinke and Ryu Hyun-jin.

He carries a $6 million salary for the 2013 season.

Troy Renck/Denver Post

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Colorado Rockies, Misc Rumor, Trade Rumor

Discuss
Crawford Eager For Fresh Start In Los Angeles

Feb 17, 2013 5:00 PM

After two disappointing seasons with the Red Sox, Carl Crawford is enjoying a fresh start of sorts in Los Angeles.

The Red Sox traded him to the Dodgers in a waiver deal last August. Crawford has five seasons remaining on the seven-year, $142 million deal he signed with the Red Sox before the 2011 season.

Coming off elbow surgery, he enters spring training feeling as though he's turned a corner.

Associated Press

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Mattingly Names League Dodgers Closer

Feb 15, 2013 1:31 AM

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly looks at closer Brandon League and sees power and unpredictability.

"He's kind of the effectively wild guy," Mattingly said.

League was 6 for 6 in save chances with the Dodgers, going 2-1 with a 2.30 ERA in 48 games.

ESPN.com

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Mattingly Downplays Expectations Surrounding Dodgers

Feb 13, 2013 8:23 AM

The Dodgers have baseball's highest payroll and enter spring training with high expectations.

"All these expectations are just noise to me and noise to our club," Don Mattingly said. "We should win the World Series and this and that. That's all fine. That's all good, but my job is to prepare this team to play and to cut out the noise."

Stuck in bankruptcy, the Dodgers opened last season 12th in the majors with a payroll of $94.7 million.

Through trades and signings, Los Angeles now has a payroll north of $200 million.

"I expect to win. I expected to win last year, I expected us to win the year before, honestly," Mattingly said. "I just believe that you can do anything if things work out. Granted, this year I have some more leeway."

Associated Press

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Dodgers, Kershaw Have 'Mutual Interest' In Deal
Clayton Kershaw will be eligible for free agency after the 2014 season.

Dylan Hernandez/Los Angeles Times

Dodgers Likely Out Of Mix For Rolen
The Dodgers have pretty much eliminated the idea of signing Scott Rolen.

Ken Gurnick/MLB.com

Hanley Putting In Extra Work, But Not At Shortstop
Hanley Ramirez has struggled at shortstop recently and conventional wisdom would suggest that playing the position this winter would help him prepare for the coming season.

Alden Gonzalez/MLB.com

Valenzuela To Enter Caribbean Hall Of Fame
Fernando Valenzuela will be inducted into the Caribbean Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday.

ESPN

Billingsley Insists Right Elbow Feels Fine
Chad Billingsley is coming off a partially torn elbow ligament, the kind that usually requires Tommy John surgery and a year off to rehab.

Ken Gurnick/MLB.com