September 2010 - Los Angeles Dodgers Wiretap

Lilly Could Re-Sign With Dodgers

Sep 30, 2010 11:16 PM

The Dodgers and Ted Lilly have mutual interest in the lefty pitcher signing a new deal this winter. ?I think the Dodgers are interested in signing Ted back. Ted has interest in signing back,? said Lilly?s agent, Larry O?Brien of Full Circle Sports Management. ?I?m just not sure the Dodgers at this point are going to get to a range that will be very easy for us to achieve come December. I?m pretty confident that there?s a minimum three-year deal out there for Ted.?

FoxSports

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Manny Unconcerned With Reputation

Sep 25, 2010 12:22 PM

Manny Ramirez remains unconcerned with how people perceive him, even if they believe he doesn't care about the game. "I don't know," Ramirez said of the perception. "I just want to play and go home. It doesn't mean I'm a bad guy." Ramirez left the Dodgers under somewhat controversial circumstances, being ejected after the first pitch of a pinch hitting at bat. "I don't need to clear up anything," Ramirez said. "Everywhere I go, my teammates like me."

Los Angeles Daily News

Tags: Chicago White Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Loney Believes Dodgers Lacked Effort In 2010

Sep 22, 2010 10:31 AM

James Lonely reflected on the Dodgers' disappointing 2010 season on Tuesday, a season in which they didn't make the postseason for the first time since 2007. "At times," he said, "teams played harder than us." The Dodgers were eliminated from the wild-card race Sunday. Loney denied that the Dodgers had grown complacent as of result of reaching the NL Championship Series in each of the last two seasons. "I think we want to win," he said. "We want to finish it. We want to win the World Series. But the other teams are trying to do that, too."

Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Torre's Comments About Mets Creates Controversy

Sep 22, 2010 2:41 AM

Joe Torre spoke candidly about being interested in the Mets' manager position during his trip to honor the late George Steinbrenner in New York. Torre revealed he would be interested in the position, but Jerry Manual remains the manager currently. Manual publicly responded questioning Torre's integrity for speaking in that way about his job. "I probably should have said they have a manager, and I apologize," said Torre. "I misspoke. I should have been more considerate of that situation. I feel badly. There's no excuse for that." The Los Angeles media asked Torre and the Dodgers if he should be fired for his comments. "To me, he hasn't violated his contract," said Dodgers GM Ned Colletti. "What he wants to do after his contract expires is his business. Would I like his focus to be on our club for the last number of games? Yes."

Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets

Discuss
Mattingly Hire Could Be Good News For Kemp

Sep 19, 2010 10:50 PM

Matt Kemp has had a frequently tumultuous relationship with several members of the Dodgers' coaching staff, but the promotion of Don Mattingly might be good for the talented center fielder. Kemp and Mattingly have seemingly had a highly productive relationship.

ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Dotel Traded To Rockies

Sep 18, 2010 7:32 PM

The Rockies acquired Octavio Dotel for a player to be named later, and he was available for Colorado in Saturday's game. Dotel, who will wear No. 35, began the year as a closer with the Pirates before he was traded to the Dodgers on July 31. To make room on the 40-man roster for Dotel, the Rockies transferred right-hander pitcher Manuel Corpas from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list. Dotel will not be eligible to pitch for the Rockies in the postseason.

MLB.com

Tags: Colorado Rockies, Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Mattingly Signed Contract Before Season Guaranteeing Manager Position

Sep 17, 2010 11:05 PM

Don Mattingly's contract with the Dodgers before the 2010 season indicated that he would automatically get their managerial job if Joe Torre decided to leave. Mattingly's new contract as manager will be for three seasons.

Dylan Hernandez/Los Angeles Times (via Twitter)

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Mattingly To Manage Dodgers In 2011

Sep 17, 2010 6:58 PM

Don Mattingly will manage the Dodgers in 2011 and Joe Torre will step aside to determine his future plans, the Dodgers announced on Friday. Torre, the fifth-winningest manager in Major League history, is in the final year of a three-year contract. Mattingly has been the Dodgers' hitting coach since the 2008 All-Star break. "It has been an incredible honor to wear the Dodger uniform, and I will always carry with me some very special memories from the past three seasons," Torre said in a release. "This was not a decision I took lightly, but I believe it's the right one for myself and my family and I'm truly thrilled that Donnie will be the one leading the Dodgers. It's time that the Dodgers had a new voice, and I have the utmost confidence in him. I know he's ready for the challenge."

MLB.com

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Former Owner Says Dodgers Should Be Sold

Sep 17, 2010 8:10 AM

Former Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley said Thursday that owner Frank McCourt should sell the team, as "the current Dodger ownership has lost all credibility throughout the city." "In my judgment, it would be best for the franchise and the city if there was new ownership," O'Malley told The Los Angeles Times. McCourt said through a spokesman in response that he has no intention of selling the franchise.

ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Giants Move Into First Place In NL West

Sep 17, 2010 1:44 AM

Aubrey Huff hit a three-run homer, Buster Posey had a solo shot and the Giants moved into first place in the NL West with a 10-2 win over the Dodgers on Thursday night, according to an Associated Press report. Jonathan Sanchez struck out a career-high 12 as the Giants took a half-game lead on the Padres after San Diego lost 4-0 at St. Louis. San Francisco is in sole possession of first place for the first time since May 6.

AP

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, Game Recap

Discuss
Ethier Downplays Red Sox Rumor
Andre Ethier was roommates with Dustin Pedroia in college.

MLB.com

Dodgers Hint At Roster Overhaul
The Dodgers will likely miss the postseason for the first time in three years.

ESPN

Torre: Umpires Have Quicker Triggers
Joe Torre was ejected on Saturday night.

ESPN

Padilla May Be Done For Season
Vicente Padilla has been scratched from his scheduled start on Sunday.

ESPN

L.A. Promotes John Lindsey After 15 Years In Minors
The Dodgers promoted first baseman John Lindsey on Monday after he spent 15 years in the minors with four organizations.

AP

Giants Win Again, Get Within 1 Game Of NL-West Lead
The Giants beat the Dodgers 3-0 on Sunday night behind the pitching of Jonathan Sanchez.

AP

Giants Rally To Beat LA, Move Within 2 Games Of Padres
Juan Uribe hit a two-run homer in the ninth inning to give the Giants a wild 5-4 win over the Dodgers on Saturday night.

AP

Kemp Wants At Least $61M Contract
Matt Kemp wants a contract at least as big as the $61 million deal Baltimore gave Nick Markakis.

Jon Heyman/Sports Illustrated

McCourt: Wife Didn't Want Dodgers
Frank McCourt says his wife and former Dodger CEO Jamie McCourt didn't want the risk associated with owning the team.

ESPN

Frank McCourt Planned To Cut Payroll
Frank McCourt wanted to operate the Dodgers on a budget of about $85 million.

ESPN

Dodgers Won't Trade Lilly To Yankees
The Dodgers are interested in keeping Ted Lilly over the long-term.

ESPN

Yankees Awarded Lilly, Trade Unlikely
The Yankees are hoping they'll somehow be able to acquire Ted Lilly and use him on their playoff roster.

New York Daily News

Furcal Hoping For Friday Return
Rafael Furcal has been out since Aug. 2 with a strained lower back.

ESPN