February 2010 - Los Angeles Dodgers Wiretap

Dodgers Haven't Ruled Out Manny For Taiwan Trip

Feb 28, 2010 10:37 AM

The Dodgers haven't ruled out the possibility of Manny Ramirez traveling to Taiwan next month for a three-game exhibition series. Most of the team's marquee players aren't expected to make the trip, which is expected to involve flights of at least 13 hours in each direction. "I don't think any of us will know until we get on the plane [March 10]," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. "We keep sort of moving people around. But he certainly seems like he is interested in going, let's put it that way."

ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Manny Endorsing Energy Drink With Risque Name

Feb 25, 2010 8:12 PM

Manny Ramirez is endorsing an energy drink named "Sum Poosie," according to Dylan Hernandez from the Los Angeles Times. Update: Hernandez was later told that Ramirez doesn't have an endorsement deal with the energy drink, despite his claim. RealGM Note: The branding of the bottle includes scantily clad women.

Dylan Hernandez/Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Giles Jokes About Taking Manny's Job In LF

Feb 25, 2010 12:06 PM

Brian Giles is in the Dodgers' spring training camp and was asked what kind of role he envisions for himself. "Probably take Manny's job, play left field," said Giles jokingly. RealGM Note: Giles had an .854 OPS in 2008, but had a .548 mark in 228 2009 at bats while suffering from an arthritic right knee.

Dylan Hernandez/Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Kemp: I'm Not A Celebrity, I'm A Baseball Player

Feb 25, 2010 11:00 AM

Matt Kemp had a successful 2009 on the field and a high-profile offseason due to his relationship with Rihanna. "I guess you get used to it," he said of his new fame. "I don't worry about it now. It's not affecting my work." Kemp became a millionaire this winter, rewarded with a two-year, $10.95-million contract. Kemp said he has learned that he has to be careful with what he does or where he goes. "I've been here for four years," he said. "I know what L.A.'s like. It's not like a normal city. It's a big city. It's Hollywood -- entertainment capital of the world. It's not just a normal baseball city." But in the first week of camp, a couple of Dodgers officials didn't seem pleased to learn there was a risque video on TMZ.com that showed Rihanna at a birthday party that Kemp reportedly threw for her in Arizona. Kemp said he doesn't anticipate the scrutiny to become significantly worse. "I haven't seen too many people popping out of bushes," he said. "I'm not a celebrity," he said. "I'm a baseball player, man."

Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Manny Amused By Media Attention

Feb 25, 2010 10:46 AM

Manny Ramirez was amused by comments he made that suggested he would not play with the Dodgers in 2011. "I'll play three more for this team and two more in Japan. Put that in there. I want to see myself on ESPN again," he said. Dodgers manager Joe Torre wasn't surprised at how much attention Ramirez's comments got Monday. "All it takes is one particular sentence," Torre said. "And you know Manny. He says a lot of stuff. It's not that he doesn't mean it, but as an outsider looking in, I hope he plays a lot of baseball. He still has a lot to give."

Los Angeles Daily News

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers

Discuss
Reaction To Comments Amuses Manny

Feb 23, 2010 5:54 PM

Manny Ramirez is amused at all the attention that recent comments about his future with the Dodgers has created. He said on Monday that this season would be his final with the Dodgers. "After I practiced yesterday, I feel like I could play five more years," he joked with reporters. "I'm going to play three more years here, then two more in Japan." Reporting for spring training on Monday, Ramirez said: "I won't be here next year, so I just want to enjoy myself. I don't know [if he'll play next year]. I just know I'm not going to be here. When the season is over, I will see where I'm at."

ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Manny Expects To Play Elsewhere In 2011

Feb 22, 2010 12:45 PM

Manny Ramirez predicted this would be his last season with the Dodgers. ?I know I?m not going to be here next year,? Ramirez said. Ramirez was asked if he thinks he won't re-sign with the Dodgers. ?I doubt it, I don?t know,? he said. ?I?m happy to be here. I?m going to try to enjoy myself.? Asked what made him think he wouldn?t be in Los Angeles in 2011, Ramirez replied, ?I don?t know. I just know that I?m not going to be here.? Ramirez will likely seek a home in the American League where he can be a designated hitter.

Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Free Agent Rumor

Discuss
Dodgers Could Reduce Payroll, Double Ticket Prices

Feb 22, 2010 6:53 AM

The Dodgers could look to reduce their payroll through 2018 while increasing the average ticket price by nearly double, according to the Los Angeles Times. The Times got the information from confidential financial documents included in a court filing last week. The documents, submitted by former Dodgers chief executive Jamie McCourt in divorce proceedings against owner Frank McCourt, offer a rare glimpse into the finances of the team.

Los Angeles Times

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Padilla Laughs About Gunshot Wound

Feb 22, 2010 6:45 AM

Less than four months after a friend accidentally shot him with a small pistol while the two were target practicing at a firing range, Vicente Padilla is in spring training with the Dodgers. The bullet passed through his right thigh. "When it happened, I thought it was going to be pretty serious, because it was bleeding a lot," Padilla said through an interpreter. "But I went to the hospital, and they said it wasn't serious. It didn't touch any of the muscles. They gave me some medication and said I just had to let it heal by itself."

ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Gagne Says He Has 'A Lot Of Regrets'

Feb 21, 2010 10:22 AM

Eric Gagne, who recently signed a deal with the Dodgers, admitted that he is dealing with a lot of regret. He didn't avoid questions about appearing in baseball's Mitchell report on performance-enhancing drug use. "It changed it a lot for a couple of years," Gagne said. "But now, you come to grips, where you know what, it is what it is. You have to accept it and just go on. You have to keep going and enjoy baseball, get people out and get back to basics. "There are a lot of regrets."

ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Dodgers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Torre Wants To Manage Dodgers In '11
Joe Torre confirmed Saturday that he wants and expects to manage through 2011.

MLB.com

Gagne Returns To Dodgers
The Dodgers and free-agent reliever Eric Gagne have reached a tentative agreement on a Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League camp.

MLB.com

Dodgers Looking At Gagne
The Dodgers may sign reliever Eric Gagne to a minor-league deal.

ESPN

Kemp Claims He's Not Dating Rihanna
Matt Kemp and Rihanna have been frequently seen together, but they both insist that it it purely a friendship.

People

Tabloid Coverage Isn't Distracting Kemp
Matt Kemp says that pop star Rihanna is just a "friend."

MLB.com

Dodgers Will Keep Close Eye On Manny
The Dodgers are concerned about Manny Ramirez.

Yahoo! Sports

Dodgers Invite Giles To Spring Training
Brian Giles could catch on with the Dodgers.

ESPN

Twins Sign Orlando Hudson
The Twins have signed Orlando Hudson to a one-year, $5 million contract.

MLB.com

Manny Considered Opting Out To Be DH In AL
Manny Ramirez complained toward the end of last season that playing the outfield wore down his legs.

MLB.com

MLB Bans 'Manny Provision' In Contracts
Manny Ramirez's contract included a provision to donate $1 million.

Boston Herald

Dodgers Sign Ortiz, Amezaga
Ramon Ortiz and Alfredo Amezaga will fight for a spot in Los Angeles.

ESPN

Dodgers Considering Amezaga
Alfredo Amezaga won't be ready to play until June, but he can play seven positions.

ESPN

Weaver Agrees To Deal With Dodgers
Jeff Waver and the Dodgers agreed to a minor league deal on Tuesday, which includes an invitation to spring training.

AP

Dodgers Will Pass On Chien-Ming Wang
The Dodgers believe Chien-Ming Wang is three months away from contributing.

MLB.com

Dodgers Considered Pineiro, Harang
The Dodgers thought about adding Joe Pineiro or Aaron Harang.

ESPN